Sunday, August 10, 2008

Back to School, er, kinda.


So, I don't know if this happens you, but every August, when all the Back to School commercials start up, I always feel it's time to organize. Maybe it's the 12 years of prepping by clothes shopping, and picking which color paper I was going to use for the beginning of the year (I always started out really strong but ended up using jacked up pieces from the back of my spiral notebook by the end of the year.), and getting my head wrapped around the concept that I wasn't going to be able to watch Days of Our Lives and The Brady Bunch until the next holiday.

My events calendar is still full, but I'm not planning so far out in advance. Well, except for the Masquerade Ball, Auden's first birthday, trapeze class, and some assorted other classes to sprinkle around...but for me...that's pretty damn light.

Right now, I just want to cook. It's a shame that most of the time I come home from work, I'm so assed out tired that I can barely hang out with Auden, let alone *think* about feeding two other people besides myself. But I gotta do it. I think I'm gonna start - wait for it - menu planning. *shudder* That sounds so suburban. It sounds like something someone with a minivan does. But, my friends, it has come to that. No more sandwiches, or ordering from Ella Cafe or Mighty Diamond (and telling myself "It's okay! It's still healthy!"). Oh no, we're not falling into that rut, my pretties.

I have been successful in challenging myself here and there with food. I ordered some local yellow zucchini from Fresh Direct, and I did a simple roasting in the oven and it came out marvelous. So I did it again tonight, but I added red peppers to the mix and then made some quinoa w green onions and topped with raw cherry tomatoes and some half sliced Tofurkey Italian snausage. It was easy. I didn't have to think about it. Okay, and maybe zucchini isn't so much of a challenge, but you know, it's not my favorite thing on earth to eat, and I made it taste pretty damn awesome.

My next major challenge: cooking for Auden. Mister is getting all growed up and mama's gotta start cooking for him. Can't rely on a jar forever. If you know any awesome organic, local kiddo recipes, holler at yr girl.

So while I'm not picking out a new Trapper Keeper this season (shut up, you had one too and you miss it), I am thinking about new things. Fall is a serious thinking time of year. The fun and the sun are subsiding. Soon it will be nighttime at 3 in the afternoon. It's time to be indoors and have some really great snuggly family and friends time. Most probably, more house parties will be involved, the drinks will be less bubbly, and the pie floweth over.

Time to buy a coat!!! Hooray!

No comments: